Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken with Udon Stir-Fry!

Well, we broke out of our Italian mode and switched it up for this meal. We had an amazing Japanese inspired meal of teriyaki chicken breasts with a vegetable stir-fry and udon noodles.

This transition out of Italian cuisine started awhile back when I ate an udon noodle bowl at the farmer's market. It was so delicious and I think it stuck in the back of our minds after eating it. So I made a trip to the local Asian Supermarket and was blown away by all the stuff they had. They had amazingly cheap produce, including tons of things I have never heard of, great fresh seafood and meat and then every other thing under the sun. This store has already inspired one of our next exotic meals but I will leave that one a secret for now (maybe I will include a clue in here somewhere).

I made my own teriyaki sauce from soy, mirin, sake and sugar and used it to glaze the grilled chicken breasts. It also made for a great time to use my marinade injector to get this delicious marinade all inside the breasts as well. I was just glad to finally have a use for the darn thing. The udon noodles were fresh and just required a quick few minute simmer with a little miso pasted added for some flavor. Richard worked on the stir-fry of carrots, celery, snap peas, shitakes, water chestnuts onions and garlic. The smell in the kitchen of all these treats cooking was amazing.

Here is the final product, it looks great but tasted even better. There is nothing quite like having prepared the meal yourself to add to the enjoyment of a great meal. Until next time, thanks for checking in on me here. Feel free to comment or leave suggestions for things we should try. I welcome it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment